Drama Studio London was founded over 50 years ago. The original courses were designed to give the aspiring actor the best grounding in skills and approach in order to prepare for a professional career. That has remained our ethos.
Drama Studio London has a high graduate employment rate. The nature of our courses means that our graduates are versatile and able to perform on stage and screen alike. Many of our graduates have gone on to have steady careers right across the industry from stage and screen to writing and directing.
- Of our 2020 graduating classes 64% are signed with an agent, less than 6 months after graduating.
- Our average figures show that 83% of our graduates are employed and working professionally in the industry within a year of graduating.
Our vision is based on three principles:
Acting is a vocation and not an academic achievement
Every one of our courses is almost entirely vocational. We have one aim - to train successful, professional actors.
A classical training is appropriate for all future work
By working on Shakespeare’s first folio, Comedy of Manners and Modern classics as well as Checkov and his contemporaries, actors learn an approach as useful in a TV sitcom as it is on stage. Our media department is growing and as we add ensemble work and musical experience, the actor’s process to achieve a truth remains constant.
Working professionals keep our feet on the ground
All of our Heads of Departments and faculty are working professionals. The benefits are clear: making sure the training is always relevant, providing role models for the students and keeping the passage into the profession clear.
Our passionate and personal teaching programme includes:
- Performance opportunities, in both classic and new writing productions, in London theatres.
- Scene studies, improvisation and devised work in all genres that play to your creative strengths and then stretch you even further.
- Screen acting classes of different styles culminating in the production of a short film fit for professional casting use.
- Microphone Technique in our fully equipped sound studio (producing many Carleton Hobbs BBC Radio award winners) with two final extracts you can upload to your own Spotlight page.
- Training in sight-reading, commercials and TV interviews.
- Regular visits from industry professionals (agents, casting directors, TV directors etc.) for workshops and Q&A sessions.
- Alongside your Diploma or Degree you gain Spotlight and Equity Membership