Drama Studio London was founded 50 years ago. The original courses were designed to give the aspiring actor the best grounding in skills and approach in order to prepare for a professional career.
That has remained our ethos. This vision is based on three principles:
Acting is a vocation and not an academic achievement
Every one of our courses is almost entirely vocational. We have one aim - to train successful, professional actors.
A classical training is appropriate for all future work
By working on Shakespeare’s first folio, Restoration and Modern classics as well as Chekhov, actors learn an approach as useful in a TV sitcom as it is on stage. Our media department is growing and as we add ensemble work and musical experience, the actor’s process to achieve a truth remains constant.
Working professionals keep our feet on the ground
All of our Heads of Departments and faculty are working professionals. The benefits are clear: making sure the training is always relevant, providing role models for the students and keeping the passage into the profession clear.
Our passionate and personal teaching programme includes:
- Performance opportunities, in both classic and new writing productions, in London theatres.
- Scene studies, improvisation and devised work in all genres that play to your creative strengths and then stretch you even further.
- Screen acting classes of different styles culminating in the production of a short film fit for professional casting use.
- Microphone Technique in our fully equipped sound studio (producing many Carleton Hobbs BBC Radio award winners) with two final extracts you can upload to your own Spotlight page.
- Training in sight-reading, commercials and TV interviews.
- Regular visits from industry professionals (agents, casting directors, TV directors etc.) for workshops and Q&A sessions.
- Alongside your Diploma or Degree you gain Spotlight and Equity Membership