The course is run by Drama Studio London and validated by the University of West London. It is aimed at applicants who would like an honours degree upon graduating and are at the stage of their careers where 3 years training would be beneficial. Talent, passion and attitude are more important than experience.
From the 25th of February we will be accepting applications for our 2021 entry through UCAS Extra. Find out if you are eligible to apply to Drama Studio London on our BA in Professional Acting degree through Extra.
Start Date: October 2021
End Date: July 2024
Course Duration: 30 Weeks Per Year
Hours Per Week: 30
Audition Fee: £30.00
Qualification: BA (Hons) in Professional Acting
Application Deadline: UCAS deadline is 15th January 2021
UCAS Code (Course Code): W412
Institution Code: W05
Campus Code: G
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or over when the course starts. There is no upper age limit.
- One of the following:
- 112 UCAS points from at least 2 A-Levels (points can also be redeemed from AS-Levels, but only from subjects different to those at A-Level) or equivalent of 112 points from Scottish or international qualifications.
- BTEC National Diploma at grade DMM or above
- Pass QAA Accredited AHE course
- 5 GCSEs with GCSE English (Language or Literature) or recognised equivalent.
- This is a highly competitive programme and applicants must demonstrate suitable commitment to, and engagement with, performing through experience of some form of performing arts study or evidence an aptitude for and/or experience of performance.
- In exceptional circumstances students can be considered for entry to the programme having a portfolio of achievement which overall reflects the standard entry criteria but sits outside of the nonstandard entry criteria as specified above. The academic admissions team (DSL and UWL collaboratively) will consider such student profiles on their merits, benchmarking student achievement against the standard entry criteria
- All students from a non-English speaking majority country will be required to provide a valid SELT (Secure English Language Test) at level CEFR (Common European Framework) B2 or above or at IELTS level 6.5 or above.
- Reasonable Adjustment. Please feel free to advise us of any difficulties or disabilities which may affect your performance at audition, we will be happy to make any reasonable adjustments that ensure you are given a fair opportunity to demonstrate your skills.
- International Students please click here for details on applying from outside the UK
We look for talent, passion, a maturity of attitude, a certain level of technical ability, a flexible approach and the potential for coping with the demands of training and future employment as an actor. Due to the Coronavirus and government restrictions on travel we are currently offering digital first round auditions to all successful applicants.
- 2 minutes talking to the camera. Just be yourself and make sure the shot is of head and shoulders. Talk about yourself, your motivations, your likes and your acting experience etc.
- 2 minutes some full body video shots with movement (dance or physical theatre). Upon application you will be sent 3 pictures and 3 pieces of music to choose from. You should use one of these six as inspiration for your movement piece. We are looking for some variation and some connection with a story or an emotion but it need not be a 'dance' unless you are comfortable with that.
- 2 minutes acting a modern speech post 1956.
- 2 minutes acting a classical speech pre 1710.
You can upload your audition clips to Vimeo, YouTube, DropBox, WeTransfer or similar and share with email@example.com
During the current National Lockdown our second round auditions will be delivered digitally. If you are offered a place at Drama Studio London you will be given an opportunity to visit the site once the building re-opens.
The Recall Audition consists of:
- short introductions and technology check
- performance of your two speeches (contemporary and classical) with feedback and direction from the panel
- an informal conversation about you and your aspirations
- the opportunity for you to ask questions about DSL and the course
You will need to have a good internet connection and space to move for the audition.
Please note: The choice of speeches for round 2 can be the same as for round 1 unless you have specifically been requested in writing by DSL to prepare alternatives.
The direction you receive is not a judgement on your performance. The aim is to see how you respond to direction and how you can transform a performance to offer alternative interpretation. You may have done an excellent first interpretation and now we want to see what else you can offer.
The Digital Recall Audition is something we have been conducting for many years for overseas applicants, so you should not feel disadvantaged by this format.
We aim to provide you with a decision following your interview within 10 days.
- Your recall result will be emailed to you. You will either be offered a place, rejected, or placed on our waiting list.
- If successful, you will be sent a contract and other documents relating to the offer stating a deadline date for response.
- Please note that your offer is not secured until you return the signed contract and pay your deposit.
Notes on the Waiting List
We aim to achieve the right balance on our student intake, taking diversity into account is important to us, to the profession and for our students themselves. This diversity is not just about visible difference, but also about invisible difference; idiosyncrasies of talents and needs. Whilst we are trying to get this balance we put some excellent students onto our waiting list. This is not because we think they are not as good as others or that we have doubts about them achieving professional standards, it is merely a holding position whilst we try to fit all the pieces together in the best possible way. We will notify you if a place becomes available or if all places are filled. You may be on the waiting list for a long time as people can withdraw from the course very close to the start date. If you wish to be withdrawn from our waiting list, please let us know.